A schoolgirl has been awarded £1 million in compensation following a hospitals mistake which led to her having both feet amputated.
Chantelle Pringle was only two years old when a late admission to hospital caused both her feet to be amputated. Her mother, Kelly Grotz was concerned about Chantelle when she developed a high temperature and vomiting, and had telephoned the out of hours medical service. The triage nurse on duty advised that it was most likely that Chantelle had contracted a respiratory infection. Kelly was then advised to give Chantelle Calpol to ease the symptoms.
However, Chantelle was actually suffering from Meningitis. It was only when her mother spotted a rash that she was then rushed to hospital. Unfortunately, she had already developed gangrene and this left the doctors with no option but to perform the double amputation. The right foot was amputated at the ankle and her left foot was amputated at the joint.
If Chantelle had been admitted to the hospital 10 hours earlier her feet could have been saved. Judge Michael Harvey QC ruled that the nurse had been negligent and should have immediately admitted the child to hospital.